Gunther's Throwdown! Cold Angel Hair Pasta With Caviar

Like the popular Food network's Throwdown with Bobby Flay with a mission to challenge the absolute masters. I am here to Challenge Gunther Hubrechsen's signature dish of cold angel hair pasta with Oscietra caviar. Recipe absolutely perfected. For those that had tried this at Gunther's. I wish you are here today to test this out with me.
All good things comes in small package and it's $60 for a pop of his cold angel hair pasta with Oscietra caviar. 2 biteful worth. Gunther's on Purvis Street is one of my favorite restaurants in Singapore. I've ate there a few times but never get around to try his angel hair pasta. Until last month, Jess is so kind to invite me to the Savour Event which features 16 award-winning chefs. We had our fill of free-flow champagne on the VIP Booth and I practically spent all my savour dollar on 2 portions of Gunther's pasta, intensely-flavoured chilled angel hair pasta tossed with chives and truffle oil, then crowned with pearls of Oscietra caviar. The left over dollars left me indulging in his Canele, so well made with a firm crust exterior, and a moist spongy interior.
My version of this chilled pasta is slightly different. Instead of chives, I added chive oil which is marinated with dried shrimps. I've also added finely chopped porcini. It gives the pasta a deeper dimension instead of all truffle flavor which can be a bit one dimensional. I season only with Tetsuya's Truffle Salt which give an explosive truffle flavor.
That's my jar of chive oil
HOW TO MAKE CHIVE OIL
Lots of chives, cut into 3 inch length
ΒΌ cup dried shrimps (do not soak)
2 cups extra virgin olive oil

Heat oil in pan and slowly fry the chives and shrimps. Fry the chives until it is slightly brown. Let cool and store in jar. You can use it to give flavor to tossed noodle and pasta. 
COLD ANGEL HAIR PASTA WITH CAVIAR
This dish can be made ahead and let marinate in the fridge until serve. Perfect for dinner parties.

Ingredients
Angel hair pasta
Truffle salt
Truffle oil
Chive oil* (just sparingly to balance the flavors)
Dried porcini mushroom, soaked in water then finely diced
Caviar (Normal caviar is fine)

Method
Cook pasta in a pot of boiling water (Do not add salt to the water). Cook pasta till it's al dente (30 secs short). get a bowl of ice ready and shock the pasta in the ice. When pasta is cold, drain the water.

In a mixing bowl, season pasta with truffle salt and a few lugs of truffle oil. Add about a teaspoon of chive oil and toss in the diced porcini mushrooms and a teaspoon of caviar.

Let the pasta marinate in the fridge for an hour. To serve, plate pasta and top with a teaspoon of caviar.
- till next post, ss.

Labels: , , , , , , ,