Strawberry honey yogurt ice cream

A few weeks ago, I was busy in the kitchen developing the dessert menu for a restaurant. I knocked out two out-of-the-world ice cream flavors (One day I might be able to share the recipes with you). The downside of this ice cream perfectness is the amount of egg yolks, sugar and cream that went into the making which also implies the amount of fats I've consumed over the weeks. I guess moderation never seems to happen with what I do. 

Since then, ice cream had somehow lingered on as a habit of daily extravagent indulgence. I always do have quite a lot of leftovers from the weeks of recipe testing. Many times, the restaurant managers would ask me if I had any of that awesome ice cream left from testing. I will tell then firmly, "NO". As a matter of truth, I did have plenty left. All preciously and carefully tucked in small neat tubs for myself, and for my own enjoyment only. After evening service, I would sneaked them home one by one for my personal indulgence. It’s always perfect to end the day lovely and sweet with a luxurious scoop of two after work. It just makes the day complete. Who doesn't love ice cream anyway?  
Weeks passed, my stashed supply was running low and with all luxury, there’s always a price tag; my weight is running up naturally. I tried to keep to my regular gym schedules and eat well whenever possible but temptation is always around and that was one tough call. My fitness trainer claims that I am obviously rounder and sat me down for a chat recently. I guiltily admitted the culprit "ICE CREAM!". Like the scary discipline master, I was put on trial. he went about the next half hour lecturing me about my bad eating habits. I wasn't dishearten though. His words obviously went out the other ear. I went back to the kitchen drawing board to find a solution and there I have - strawberry yogurt ice cream. Proud of my creativity, I sent him a tub. Telling him the strawberry ice cream is made with fresh, big, juicy strawberry- the Korean strawberries, greek yogurt and honey. It’s actually quite good for you. After one mouthful, my trainer gave me two thumbs up. He said "Yeah, no wonder…"


Gear I used:
Cuisinart ICE-30BC Pure Indulgence 2-Quart Automatic Frozen Yogurt, Sorbet, and Ice Cream Maker 

Ingredients 

250g strawberries
250ml whole milk
150g honey (less if the strawberries are sweet)
500g greek yogurt
5 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract


Method
Chop roughly the strawberries and marinate with half of the honey. Set in the fridge to chill.
Heat the milk and the remaining honey gently in a saucepan until it's come to a bare simmer. In a separate bowl, stir together the egg yolks. Then gradually pour some of the milk into the yolks, whisking constantly as you pour. Scrape the warmed yolks and milk back into the saucepan.

Cook over low heat, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom with a heat-resistant spatula, until the custard thickens enough to coat the spatula. Leave till cool and refrigerated overnight to chill.

In a blender, whizz the marinated strawberries together with the greek yogurt. Mix in the custard. Pour the mixture into ice cream machine and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

- till next post, ss.

Labels: , , , , ,