Avocado coconut ice-cream

 I hadn't seem to recover from my last vacation to Krabi in March. It was delightful. It felt like a proper break, a escapade that slips away from the ho-hum of work and everyday routine, and there is nothing I adore more than traveling to a sunny island where the ocean is sparkling turquoise; where the sand against your feet is soft and fine as sugar. The tropical sun shone just hot enough to turn your skin to a golden honey. The breeze salty from the sea and sweet at the same time from the blooming flowers, the sound of waves easing into a sweet lullabies in the evenings. Morning starts with long breakfast, sunny beaches, long naps. The day has no agenda and we went about as we please, exploring as we like.


Day by day I've waited since our last vacation. I've anticipated the beach once again. I longed for a trip again. Eagerly. So much so, I find myself disillusional every time I looked up to the sky. I dreamed of the sea, the breeze. The excitement of counting down to the day when I finally get to pack my bags, write an out-of office-auto-respond note, shut down the excel spreadsheet and quit powerpoint. Mentally jotting down a to-bring list. worrying if I missed anything. Had I packed my swim wear? Had I charge my camera batteries to full? Did I remember to pick up the sun screen along the way? And the guide book?

And tomorrow is finally here. I will be off to Penang for a couple of days. I know the trip will be as lovely and the the next fees days will be good and perfect. I am just as excited writing this post tonight leaving you with the recipe of a creamy, luscious and downright tasty avocado coconut ice cream.
Last week I picked up some avocados from the supermarket. They are on the watch list because i didn't want them to end up in the garbage can of good intentions. So, day by day, I've been watching the green avocado slowly turning brown. Until the flesh within gives a little with a gentle squeeze. I had no clue how should I eat them.


I popped the question on Facebook. Comments came in with ideas. And avocado coconut ice cream with gula malaka (Palm sugar) sound just right.

Results?  An amazingly smooth, creamy, and pillowy soft ice cream with the rich taste of avocado and coconut with just a hint of caramel. There’s nothing about these lusciously rich ice cream that isn’t wonderful. Or luscious. Or rich. Or wonderful. 

Ingredients
2 ripe avocado
180g gula malaka, chopped (you can also use dark brown sugar)
4 egg yolks
250 ml milk
500 ml coconut cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
A pinch of salt

Method
Heat the milk, salt and gula malaka gently in a saucepan until it's come to a bare simmer. In a separate bowl, stir together the egg yolks. Then gradually pour some of the milk into the yolks, whisking constantly as you pour. Scrape the warmed yolks and milk back into the saucepan.

Cook over low heat, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom with a heat-resistant spatula, until the custard thickens enough to coat the spatula. Stir in the vanilla extract and leave till cool and refrigerated overnight to chill.

In a blender, whizz the avocado together with the coconut cream. Mix in the custard. Pour the mixture into ice cream machine and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

Serve with gula syrup and toasted coconut.

- till next post, ss.

Labels: , , , , ,