Chunky coconut mango granolas

Before a carnivore.
Before a flexitarian.
Before a pescatarian.

I was into vegetarianism and yogism. At that time, I was dating someone that was Lactose intolerance. I soon learnt to give up diary and adore soy milk and its kind and proudly pronounced my diet ovo-vegetarian for 2 years. My limbs are slender, my belly is flat, my skin is glowing, my hair shone. Tranquillity was in my breathing and everyday I seemed to bounce with abundance of energy. And I don’t mean to be preach about yogism or convert you to vegetarianism. Others do that much better than me.
Perhaps for the fact that I was 24 then. Yet the truth is that my relationship with ovo-vegetarian diet and granolas lives there too, because every time I eat granolas, my body feels comforted and relaxed. Granolas became my staple breakfast. Sometimes even for dinner. I fell in love.

Now, 10 years later and a junkivore. My breakfast are always quick fixes. Usually finding whatever that was in the fridge, Left over dinners that constitute to this blog - pasta, roast chicken or the occasional cake and ice-cream. Lunch are non spectacular, always on the desk in front of the screen juggle the fork and keyboard. Late dinners that transited to supper became the normal. Weekends are always eating out, full blown, glorified indulgence. It's okay -- we've all done it once or twice. And shouldn't feel bad. However, when this becomes a regular occurrence, the pants start to get a little tighter. I felt even more sluggish. 

I truly owe myself a proper breakfast.

Making granolas didn't cross my mind until recently. A bunch of friends had been exploring home baked granolas and I tried a handful. Homemade granolas beats all the store bought brands. I am a convert.

Coconut mango granolas with soy milk. All the good that you can fill your cereal bowl with. Nourished in the right way.

Ingredients
100g coconut oil, liquid state (or any flavourless oil)
150g coconut flakes
80g agave nectar syrup (Mine is barely sweet. Add more if you prefer a sweeter version)
200g sliced almonds
150g chopped dried mango
500g old fashioned or rolled oats
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ginger powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 large egg whites

Method
Preheat oven to 170˚C.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the agave nectar syrup, coconut oil, egg whites, spices, and salt until smooth. Stir in the oats, almonds, dried mango and coconut flakes until mixture is evenly coated.

Spread out evenly on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until lightly toasted and fragrant. Cool before storing in an airtight container at room temperature.

Serve with milk, yogurt, or by the handful.

- till next post, ss. 

Labels: , , , , ,