Grilled ham, cheese and pear sandwich

I made this sandwich for someone that doesn't like for sandwich. Thinks salads is grass. A person that never tried a peanut butter jelly sandwich in his life. Who doesn't know what nutella taste like. A kid that hates coco pops or fruit loops or any cereal as a matter of fact for breakfast. I seriously think he is from a different planet.

When we talked about picky eaters, they don't get the same pleasures from eating that others do.When you taste something that at first scares you, that you don't understand or just don't want to eat. Most probably you'll end up with a bad version of it. More often than not, picky eaters need a few tries to find a bond to a new food.
I will tell my own stories. Sometimes, I will tell him about the food itself - the spices, the different types of bread or how to spot different cheeses. So a meal isn't merely to try the food but to experience it. And slowly our dining table is more than meals. It's more of having a relationship with food. Soon he grew to love arugula and spinach. Adores exotic cheeses. Appreciates the complexity of a good bread.
I made sandwiches in the morning. I told him about my ham and cheese as a kid - square ham, Kraft singles and buttered white bread. It probably meant that for a lot of us! I will have them everyday to take to school. On the bus ride, I will nibble as slowly as I can wanting it to last longer. Peering out the bus window, I will watch the morning wake up. Fascinated by glimpses of other people’s lives in all of their unselfconscious everydayness. Buzzing about going to work or school. I sometimes wonder what they have for breakfast. Fried noodles? Eggs? Porridge? Mac Donalds or maybe nothing at all. Perhaps they are as lucky as me to have a sandwich similar to mine, as delicious as mine to take to work.
I took my ham and cheese sandwich to work this morning and packed his too. On the bus ride to work, I sneaked out the sandwich. Savouring each bite as I see the traffic whizzed by from the window. The sandwich in my hand, though only slightly warm by now, it's still crisp, gooey, buttery, savory and sweet all at the same time. I wonder how his sandwich is holding up. Will he enjoy it as much as I did?

Ingredients
Serves 2 happy people
1 pear, thinly sliced
Butter to spread
Ham (good quality ham)
Swiss cheese or any cheese you fancy

Method
Spread bread slices with the butter. Top with the ham, swiss and slices of pear and close the sandwiches.

Preheat a skillet or panini press. Grill the sandwiches over low heat until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted, 5 minutes. If using a skillet, press the sandwiches with a spatula and flip them halfway through. Cut in half and serve right away.

- until next post, ss 

Labels: , , , , ,