Orange almond olive oil cake


And so they say, you shouldn't have dessert for breakfast. I shamelessly admit I did. I had a slice of cake and sneaked in a ball of ice cream. I love the feeling of sunlight on wrinkled morning sheets. I love orange food in the mornings because they makes me happy. I love the rare long mornings where I can take my time to prepare the food without any obligations. The freedom to lovingly cook and feed anything nice to myself, sitting down and enjoying it mindfully - a luxurious ritual to receive the love I give myself. This morning, I sense a theme. Orange was all I want. Orange and olive oil pack with almonds combine in a sunny, new favorite cake - it's really the best thing I've had in a long time.
Breakfast can anything. The idea of ritual is nothing new, but it’s something I want more of in my life. We have so many responsibilities and obligations that we often neglect to fuel our bodies, and subsequently our minds. Cooking and feeding yourself are perhaps the most primal and important acts of self love. We build a deep sense of trust in ourselves and the world (and relieve stress) when we take time to nurture ourselves by making our own food, sitting down, appreciating and enjoying it mindfully. My breakfast cake is no longer a quick fix or plainly fuel for the day. Nothing awakens the body and mind quite the orange almond olive oil cake. A happy cake with a great golden crust. The citrus livens your palete complimented with rich fruity perfumes from the olive oil. The almonds makes the crumb sings. Everything is a little better with a dreamy scoop homemade vanilla ice-cream.

Who can be bothered the long ritual of cooking for oneself? Who has the patience to pause and honor food with each bite?

We all should. It makes the pleasure of good food is more compelling.

Orange almond olive oil cake. It is the perfect not-too-sweet, moist and dense companion to a cup of black coffee in the mornings (or anytime, really)


Gear I used: Microplane 40020 Classic Zester/Grater


Ingredients
3 oranges (zest and juice, separated)

For the cake

100g orange juice
2 tablespoon orange zest
180g almonds meal
125g plain flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
4 eggs
140g granulated sugar
100ml extra virgin olive oil
⅛ teaspoon almond extract
½ teaspoon salt
Toasted almond flakes for toppings

For glaze
Remaining zest and juice
100g powdered sugar

Method
Set oven to 160˚C (320˚F), and line the bottom of a 10-inch springform pan.

In a small bowl, whisk the flour, almond meal and baking powder. In a electric mixer, combine eggs and salt. Beat until foamy. Beat in the sugar until thick and pale. Fold in the flour mixture. Add the zest, almond extract and olive oil, and beat on low speed until incorporated. Pour the batter into the pan, and bake for about 45 minutes. Remove and cool on rack.

For glaze, combine the orange zest, juice and powdered sugar in a pot. Boil until slightly thick and sticky. Pour over cake and sprinkle the almond flakes.

Now make yourself a coffee and enjoy.

- Until next post, ss. 

Labels: , , , , , ,