Crispy brussels sprouts with Szechuan peppers and duck fat

I am sitting on my desk writing this post; all geared up with my winter socks and high boots. Tonight, a group of us will be traveling together to Japan where we are spending a the next five days visiting whisky and beer breweries. There's Tokyo, Hokkaido and Miyagikyo on the itinerary, It sounds so exciting already. But before I leave, I thought I might want to share this brussels sprouts recipe with you while waiting to head for the airport. Because I also decided not to lug my laptop all around.
This brussels sprout recipes I am sharing with you is the kind of perfect light meal before the flight. It's my go to recipe when I need a snack-ish kind of meal. Usually I will cook this as a side dish or for a light supper to nimble after work with some wine and telly. Not many devour on brussels sprout but when they’re charred on the outside, the leaves are crispy and smoky while the inside tender and juicy. They’re simply amazing and addicting when they are cooked this way. Go ahead and try them, you'll be hooked, I'm sure. See you next week.

If you want to follow me to the insides of those Japanese Whisky Breweries, follow me on Twitter and Instagram.


Ingredients
500g Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthwise
3 tablespoons duck fat, melted (Duck fat is the best but if you are concern, use butter or olive oil)
1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce
1 tablespoon sugar 
1/2 teaspoon Szechuan pepper, 
1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
1/2 tablespoon minced garlic

To finishCayenne pepper
Zest of of 1 lime

Method
Heat skillet with duck fat till very hot, add the brussels sprouts, facing down. Let it char for two minutes or until browned. Flip them over and cook for another minute. Turn down the heat to low medium, add the Szechuan peppers, chili flakes garlic, sugar, and fish sauce. Add a little water if necessary and stir fry for another minute or two until fragrant and until water is absorbed. Season with sea salt and black pepper.

Serve brussels sprouts finished with some cayenne pepper and lime zest.

Till next post. ss

Labels: , , , ,